A sober Christmas may seem impossible for those who struggle with addiction and worry about their substance abuse increasing due to stress over the holidays. Planning holiday parties and being around certain family members can trigger a relapse if they are not careful. Men and women who abuse drugs or alcohol and want a sober holiday can find the support they need by enrolling in addiction treatment programs. They will learn helpful tips for maintaining sobriety over the holidays and throughout the rest of the year.
At Swift River, we help individuals and their families who are struggling with addiction during the holidays. We understand how stressful this time of year can be for some people, and we provide effective treatment options to treat their symptoms and show them how to create a sober lifestyle. Our treatment programs utilize the latest techniques, including behavioral and holistic therapy and medical support. For more information about our addiction treatment programs, call 888.451.5895 today to meet with our friendly staff.
Having A Sober Christmas
A sober Christmas is possible when you plan ahead and continue working on building a healthy and sober lifestyle. Addiction is a lifelong disease where symptoms and triggers can return years after your last drink. Attending therapy during the holidays can reaffirm your commitment to staying sober and help you fine-tune coping and communication skills. It can also show you how others are coping with their addiction during the holidays and give you valuable perspectives from different walks of life.
Some of the common tips for sober holidays include:
- Have a plan for leaving the party if temptations become too much
- Attend therapy before going to a party or after the party ends
- Bring a sober friend with you to have someone there to encourage your commitment
- Always have a glass of water or soda with you to avoid people handing you a drink
- Keep a daily journal or video blog to note any successes and frustrations and what coping skills work best
At Swift River, we are here to support your sober journey during the holidays and the rest of the year. We are a full-service treatment center that offers residential and outpatient treatment programs to treat all levels of addiction and can help you with your recovery goals.
How to Plan Sober Holidays
Sober holidays can be fun and less stressful when you make a plan and prepare for a sober Christmas. This can include anything from talking with a therapist about any common triggering situations during the holidays to pampering yourself at a day spa or relaxing weekend retreat.
Here are a few tips for planning a sober Christmas and other holiday celebrations:
- Throw a sober Christmas party – The easiest way to avoid temptation during the holidays is to throw a sober Christmas party. Invite friends from therapy so they can have a safe space to celebrate and prepare some holiday mocktail recipes for some delicious non-alcoholic holiday drinks.
- Go to parties with a sober friend – If you are attending a holiday party where you know there will be drinking, bring along a sober friend to have someone there to help you avoid temptations. Additionally, you should have a glass of water or soda to avoid people handing you a drink and have an escape plan if things become too much.
- Be honest about your sobriety – Talk to friends and family about your decision to live a healthy and sober lifestyle. Those who want to see you healthy and happy will encourage your sobriety and do all they can to support your recovery goals.
- Attend therapy or talk to a sponsor – Before attending a holiday party, speak with a therapist or sponsor to reaffirm your commitment to staying sober and fine-tune coping skills so you can confidently resist any temptations.
If you plan ahead and take care of your mental health, you can enjoy having a sober Christmas with minimal risks of relapsing. Old cravings can return even years after your last drink, and talking with a therapist regularly is an excellent way to maintain your sobriety during the holidays and the rest of the year.
Choose Addiction Treatment Programs at Swift River – Massachusetts
At Swift River, we support men and women struggling with addiction to alcohol, cocaine, heroin, or other deadly substances. Our accredited treatment programs are designed to treat all types of addictions and their various causes and symptoms. After completing their treatment program, patients will have a vast support network of sober peers and alumni programs for continual support.
Take that first step toward having a sober Christmas by calling 888.451.5895 today, or you can send us a message online, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.