Quaalude addiction is a serious problem across the country as people continue to turn to drugs and alcohol to cope with stressful times. They were first prescribed as a non-addictive sleeping pill in the 1960s, but it was quickly discovered how addictive these drugs could be when abused. Because of this, quaaludes were added to the Schedule II list of the Controlled Substance Act in 1973. For those with a serious addiction, there are several addiction therapy programs available that can help stop the abuse.
At Swift River, we support men and women who are struggling with addiction to alcohol, opioid pain medication, meth, and other dangerous substances. We teach patients about the dangers of addiction and how it impacts them and their loved ones. Each treatment program is geared toward the individual’s addiction severity and can address any underlying trauma or mental disorder behind the abuse. Reach out to our compassionate team today by calling 888.451.5895 and discover all of the benefits of our addiction therapy programs.
The Danger of Quaalude Abuse
Quaalude is the brand name for the drug methaqualone, a hypnotic sedative that causes euphoria, lowered heart rate, and respiration. Because they were initially labeled as “non-addictive,” people began abusing the drug and mixing it with other narcotics to heighten the effects. Unfortunately, they quickly learned how addictive they are and how deadly quaalude abuse can be. Thousands of overdose deaths occurred while they slept.
If you suspect a friend or loved one is abusing quaaludes, look for these signs of quaalude abuse:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Excessive sweating
- Loss of appetite
- Slurred speech
- Memory loss
- Sexual dysfunction
- Irregular heartbeat
At Swift River, we understand the dangers of quaalude addiction and pass along this information to all of our patients and their families. In addition, they learn valuable coping skills for managing their symptoms and cravings and discover the power within them to make real changes.
The Best Treatment Options for Quaalude Addiction
While there is no cure for addiction, there are several treatment options available to help people lead full and happy lives. The skills they learn and the friendships they develop are just some of the benefits of enrolling in addiction treatment programs.
Here is what you can expect after enrolling in an addiction treatment program for quaalude abuse:
- Assessment – To place you in an appropriate program, trained staff will complete a full assessment of your physical and mental health along with the severity of the addiction. Most patients will start with detoxing and residential treatment before moving to an outpatient treatment program.
- Behavioral therapy – The best type of therapy for treating addiction is cognitive-behavioral therapy. It focuses on helping patients understand and cope with the feelings that led to the addiction and teaching them how to replace their negative thinking patterns.
- Holistic therapy – Meditation, yoga, and animal-assisted therapy are quickly gaining in popularity for treating addiction. It shows patients how different activities like hiking, creative writing, and working out can help make the recovery process easier while opening them up to new interests and hobbies to fill their days.
- Medication-assisted therapy – The withdrawal symptoms and cravings caused by quaalude addiction can be difficult to get through alone and can cause a relapse at its peak. Certain medications can minimize withdrawals and cravings that are common with addiction recovery. Medical staff will administer the medication and monitor patients for any adverse reactions.
- Family Support – Another vital part of the recovery process is involving your family. Parents, spouses, and children can talk freely about any frustrations or anger they have due to the abuse and learn how to support their recovery and rebuild any broken relationships.
Quaalude addiction is a serious condition that can lead to death if not properly treated. If you suspect a friend or loved one is abusing quaaludes or other dangerous drugs, talk to them about the dangers of their abuse before it’s too late.
Swift River – Massachusetts: Your Top Resource for Treating Quaalude Addiction
At Vertva Health Massachusetts, we have a full range of treatment programs for those who are struggling with addiction to quaaludes, opioid pain medication, or other substances. Just some of the treatment programs we offer include:
- Drug and alcohol detox
- Residential treatment program
- Partial hospitalization program
- Intensive outpatient program
- Sober living homes
To learn more about how we can support your recovery effort, call 888.451.5895 today or fill out our online form, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.