Alcohol addiction is a serious mental health disorder that affects over 50 million men and women in the US today. It is one of the leading causes of divorce and broken families. If your spouse is an alcoholic, talking to them about enrolling in an alcohol addiction treatment program can save their life and the marriage. While there is no cure for addiction, several treatment programs can treat the wide-ranging symptoms of addiction and help heal broken relationships.
At Swift River, we support individuals and their families living with addiction and want help rebuilding their lives. Our certified behavioral therapists have experience treating all types of addiction and will run a full assessment of each patient to place them in the appropriate program. In addition to behavioral therapy, patients will receive medication to minimize any withdrawal symptoms or cravings disrupting the recovery process. To learn more about our alcohol addiction treatment program, call 888.451.5895 today to speak with our friendly staff.
Living with an Alcoholic Husband or Wife
If your spouse is an alcoholic, it can make life very difficult. Individuals who abuse alcohol will go to great lengths to hide their addiction and experience change in their behavior. It can cause tension in the relationship and potentially impact the development of young children. With long-term abuse, addiction also causes severe medical conditions such as:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Liver disease
- Digestive problems
- Certain cancers
- Sexual dysfunction
- Congenital disabilities
Relationship issues can be a cause and a symptom of addiction, which is why family therapy is included in a well-rounded addiction treatment program. Living with an alcoholic wife or husband is very strenuous on more than just their partner. Young children pick up relationship traits from their parents. They may be at risk of repeating some of the bad habits that are common in relationships where one or both parents struggle with alcohol addiction.
At Swift River, our alcohol addiction treatment program includes family therapy to mend broken relationships and rebuild the family unit. Spouses will have a chance to talk with a behavioral therapist in a safe space and learn about the dangers of addiction and how it affects everyone in the family.
What To Do if Your Spouse Is an Alcoholic
If you are living with an alcoholic wife or husband and their substance use is beginning to tear apart the family, help is available. There are several steps you can take to stop the damage before it causes severe medical conditions, divorce, or death. Here are a few things you can do if your alcoholic husband or wife is unable or unwilling to stop drinking:
- Addiction education – Go online and research alcohol addiction to understand better what your spouse is dealing with. Addiction creates powerful cravings and suggestions that make it nearly impossible to stop the abuse, even if they want to and are aware of the harm they are causing.
- Talk to them about rehab – Talk to them about your concern for their health and how it affects the family. Be patient, as admitting they need help can be extremely difficult, and they may deny they have a problem or will convince you that they have everything under control.
- Start a sober journey together – In most relationships, both partners will drink or use drugs, and oftentimes that’s how most people meet. When couples begin recovery together, they have a greater chance of success and maintaining lifelong sobriety. It has a built-in support system where you can turn to each other as a reminder of your goal of lifelong sobriety together.
- Healthy living – Deciding to stop drinking will lead to other changes in your life that will support the recovery process. Addiction is a lifelong illness; cravings can return years after your last drink. One part of addiction recovery is learning about healthy eating, the benefits of a nutritious diet, and other holistic activities such as meditation, yoga, and painting.
If you or your spouse is an alcoholic, enrolling in an alcohol treatment center is the safest and smartest way to begin recovery. It offers a discreet place to focus on healing using a combination of behavioral and holistic therapy and medical support.
Begin Alcohol Addiction Treatment at Swift River – Massachusetts
At Swift River, we use the latest treatment modalities for treating addiction and any corresponding depression, anxiety, or relationship issues associated with it. If you or your spouse is an alcoholic, our treatment facility offers a full complement of treatment programs that include:
- Drug and alcohol detox
- Residential treatment program
- Co-occurring disorder treatment
- LGBTQIA+ support program
For more information about our alcohol addiction treatment program, call 888.451.5895 or send us a message online today, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.