The lingering mental health epidemic continues to affect millions of men and women each year, with nearly one in five adults struggling with depression, addiction, or other disorders. What is dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)? DBT is a type of evidence-backed behavioral therapy that supports patients who are at risk of serious self-harm or suicidal tendencies. DBT treatment is just one type of treatment that is beneficial in treating several types of mental health disorders through an accredited treatment facility.
At Swift River, we help men and women who are struggling with substance use disorder, depression, or other mental health illnesses. Behavioral therapists work one-on-one with each patient to understand the root cause of the addiction and help them develop healthy coping skills for managing their symptoms and triggers. To learn more about our DBT treatment and other programs, call 888.451.5895 or fill out our online form today, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
What Is Dialectical Behavior Therapy?
Dialectical behavior therapy, or DBT, is an offshoot of cognitive-behavioral therapy that was initially developed to treat patients with borderline personality disorders. It teaches patients to focus on the present and not on any past or future events that can cause stress or trigger their addiction. It also improves their ability to manage their emotions and build healthy work or personal relationships. DBT is best suited for patients with a high risk of suicide or self-destructive behaviors.
What is DBT treatment best at treating? DBT can treat a number of mental health disorders, including:
- Borderline personality disorder
- Eating disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Major depressive disorder
- Substance use disorder
At Swift River, our behavioral therapists use the latest treatment techniques for treating depression, addiction, and other mental health disorders. We will go over your treatment program with you and explain what dialectical behavior therapy is and what different types of therapies you will participate in during your treatment program.
The Benefits of Dialectical Behavior Therapy
There are many benefits of enrolling in a treatment program that uses a mix of DBT and other behavioral and holistic therapies and medication management. For severe cases of addiction, patients will begin therapy through a residential treatment program in a comfortable and safe environment.
Just some of the benefits of dialectical behavior therapy include:
- Patients learn healthy ways to process their thoughts and feelings without it triggering their addiction or self-destructive behavior. Therapists guide them toward uncovering the root cause of their addiction while changing the way they see themselves and the world around them.
- Medication is very beneficial in reducing withdrawal symptoms and cravings, along with any depression or anxiety symptoms that trigger them. Medical staff will administer medication and monitor their reactions for any adverse side effects. Each patient is unique, and may take a little time to get the right combination of medications for maximum benefits.
- Patients will participate in group therapy to practice coping skills, spend time painting, hiking, or doing other holistic activities, and learn that it is OK to talk about their feelings with others.
- Family therapy is an essential part of a well-rounded treatment program. Families can talk about their frustrations or anger in a safe and judgment-free space while learning all about addiction and what the road to recovery looks like.
What is DBT treatment, and how can it benefit your health and well-being? Enrolling in a DBT treatment program is the best way to treat several types of mental health issues that are impacting your work and personal life.
Recovery Is Possible With DBT Treatment at Swift River – Massachusetts
At Swift River, we help men and women from all walks of life who are struggling with addiction caused by borderline personality disorders, PTSD, or past traumas. We offer a full range of treatment programs and services, including:
- Inpatient and outpatient treatment programs using CBT, DBT, and holistic therapies
- Co-occurring disorder treatment with a focus on addiction
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Veteran support program
- LGBTQIA+ support program
- Alumni program
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, call our supportive staff today at 888.451.5895 to discover the benefits of our addiction treatment facility, or fill out our online form and let us get back to you.