Marijuana is quickly becoming more popular as it becomes legal in most states for medical and recreational use. Like alcohol, many people think because it is legal, it is safe to take and don’t think about the consequences of abusing this potentially dangerous substance. Weed withdrawal symptoms can be painful and cause people to relapse at their peak. To avoid this from happening, they can enroll in a drug addiction treatment program that treats marijuana addiction.
At Swift River, we support those who want to stop abusing marijuana, alcohol, or other substances through our accredited addiction treatment facility. Our behavioral therapists have experience treating addiction and the underlying causes behind it. Patients learn about the dangers of addiction and develop vital skills for managing their feelings and maintaining lifelong sobriety. If you or a loved one is struggling with marijuana addiction, call 888.451.5895 today to speak to our compassionate staff about enrolling in our drug addiction treatment program.
Is Marijuana Addictive?
Marijuana is a natural drug from the hemp plant Cannabis in the Cannabaceae family of flowering plants. It is an addictive substance that works on the central nervous system and slows down neurotransmitters throughout your body. The euphoria it creates can be very addictive to those who struggle with depression, PTSD, or other mental health disorders. While cannabis is considered relatively safe when compared to other drugs like meth, heroin, and fentanyl-laced opioids, there is still a risk of developing dependence and addiction to marijuana.
If you suspect a friend or loved one is struggling with cannabis addiction, look for these marijuana withdrawal symptoms that point to a growing problem:
- They become easily irritated or aggressive
- Have trouble sleeping due to insomnia or experiencing frequent nightmares
- A decrease in appetite
- Stomach pain
At Swift River, we design our treatment programs around each patient’s symptoms and the severity of the addiction. Those with severe weed withdrawal symptoms will receive medication to minimize the symptoms that are interfering with their recovery.
Treating Weed Withdrawal Symptoms
People who struggle with marijuana abuse will find help with their addiction by enrolling in a drug addiction treatment program. Patients will get relief from their marijuana withdrawal symptoms using medication while focusing on the issues that led to the addiction in the first place.
Here are just some of the programs that you will participate in to minimize your weed withdrawal symptoms:
- Behavioral therapy – Programs like cognitive-behavioral therapy and dialectical behavior therapy are proven to be very effective in treating addiction. Patients will participate in group and private therapy sessions where they will develop healthy coping skills to abstain from drugs and alcohol while building their confidence in leading healthy and productive lives.
- Medication-assisted treatment – For patients with severe withdrawal symptoms, medical staff will administer medications that will minimize their symptoms and ease their suffering. Since each person’s chemical makeup is unique, it will take a few times to get the right dosage for maximum benefits with minimal side effects.
- Co-occurring disorder treatment – Many times, people will use marijuana to cope with depression or other mental health disorders. When this happens, it requires special treatment to address the addiction and the underlying cause behind it.
- Family therapy – An effective treatment program treats all aspects of the addiction, including relationships with parents, siblings, spouses, and children. Families will learn about the dangers of addiction and how they can become an integral part of the recovery process.
Despite its legality, marijuana is harmful when you abuse it, just like if you abuse alcohol, sugar, or other substances. Marijuana withdrawal symptoms may not be as severe as other drugs but can still cause serious problems and lead to worsening depression or other mental health disorders.
Find a Comprehensive Drug Addiction Treatment Program for Marijuana Addiction at Swift River – Massachusetts
At Swift River, our staff has experience treating all types of addiction, including alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, heroin, and other harmful substances. We offer a full range of treatment programs to support you throughout your recovery journey. Our treatment programs include the following:
- Drug and alcohol detox
- Residential treatment program
- Partial hospitalization program
- Intensive outpatient program
- Medication-assisted treatment