Bath salt addiction is a serious problem in the U.S. and can cause significant physical and mental harm when taken over an extended period of time. It is a man-made synthetic drug that is sold as a cheaper alternative to cocaine, meth, and hallucinogens like ecstasy. It can cause serious side effects and can lead to death in large enough doses. If you are struggling with bath salt addiction, many addiction therapy programs are very effective in treating addiction and helping patients recover with fewer risks of relapse and death.
At Swift River, we help men and women who are struggling with an addiction to bath salts and other harmful substances. We combine medication-assisted treatment along with behavioral and holistic therapy programs to help patients minimize their withdrawal symptoms and learn about the dangers of addiction. If you or a loved one is struggling with bath salt addiction, call 888.451.5895 today for more information about our addiction therapy programs.
What Are Bath Salts?
Bath salts are a dangerous synthetic stimulant chemically related to cathinone, a naturally occurring substance in the Khat plant. It is a shrub native to east Africa and southern Arabia, and people will chew the leaves to produce a mildly stimulating effect. Synthetic cathinones are more potent than the natural compound and can cause dangerous side effects. Bath salts are typically snorted, smoked, or injected directly into the bloodstream.
Bath salt intoxication can cause several serious side effects that include:
- Extreme paranoia
- Increased sex drive
- Panic attacks
- Extreme agitation or violent behavior
The danger of taking synthetic drugs is that you don’t know what the manufacturer mixes with the drug. Common cutting agents include baking soda, boric acid, cleaning supplies, and other dangerous chemicals like methylone or fentanyl. At Swift River, we have experience treating bath salt addiction and helping patients regain their confidence in living a sober and happy life. We offer a full range of treatment programs, from detox to residential and outpatient treatment programs.
Treating Bath Salt Addiction
While there is no cure for addiction in general, there are many treatment options for bath salt addiction, including group and private therapy along with medication to minimize withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Here is what you can expect after enrolling in a treatment center to treat bath salt abuse:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – CBT is one of the most successful types of therapy for treating addiction and any underlying mental health disorder fueling it. Patients learn about the dangers of addiction while working on coping with the thoughts and feelings that started the abuse. The skills they learn will help them better manage their symptoms and triggers.
- Group therapy – Patients will practice their coping skills with their peers in a supervised group session. In addition to practicing coping and communication skills, you will hear how others are coping with their addiction and gain valuable insight from different perspectives.
- Medication-assisted treatment – Medical staff will administer medication to minimize severe withdrawals and cravings that are preventing safe recovery. As time progresses and withdrawal symptoms fade, they will begin reducing the medication until no longer necessary. In most cases, patients will be 100% drug-free by the end of the program.
- Holistic therapy – Programs like creative writing, meditation, yoga, and animal-assisted therapy are very beneficial in the recovery process. It can also introduce patients to new hobbies and interests that promote healthy living.
- Family therapy – Involving your parents or spouse and children in the recovery process is important, as addiction affects everyone in the family. They will have a chance to vent any frustrations in a safe and judgment-free space while learning how to create a supportive home environment.
Abusing bath salts and other synthetic drugs is dangerous and can cause significant health problems down the road. If you suspect a friend or loved one is abusing bath salts, talk to them about getting help for their addiction.
Join Swift River – Massachusetts for Our Safe and Compassionate Addiction Therapy Programs
At Swift River, we support individuals who are struggling with an addiction to bath salts, cocaine, alcohol, or other harmful substances. Our treatment center provides a full complement of treatment programs no matter how severe the symptoms are. We offer:
- Drug and alcohol detox
- Residential treatment program
- Partial hospitalization program
- Intensive outpatient program
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Sober living homes
- Alumni support
- Veteran’s support program
- LGBTQIA+ support program
Take that first step toward a better life by calling 888.451.5895 today to discover all of the benefits of enrolling in our addiction treatment facility. You can also fill out our online contact form, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.